Solid factual information provides a realistic understanding of what salary to expect and ask for. This resource lists reliable salary information for the Irish market to help you prepare for salary negotiation.
Irish National Government Salary Data Sources
In Q4 2019, the average weekly earning was €784 across all sectors. Considered across 52 weeks, this amounts to €40,748. Overall salaries increased 1.8% in 2019 (Hays.ie). Hiring is continuing in some sectors despite the pandemic.
Irish Industry-Specific Salary Information
The national Central Statistics Office (CSO) of Ireland data, shows us that a significant factor in earnings is industry sector. Locate your sector here, noting the change overtime from 2014 as the line moves towards Q4 2019 (towards the right).
CSO Earning By Industry Sector By Employer Size
Professional Bodies – Salary Information by Industry Sector
- Engineers Ireland 2020 – Salary Information offers members more detailed information.
- Institute of Certified Public Accountants in Ireland
- Chartered Accountants Ireland – Salary Survey
- Society of Charter Surveyors Ireland Salary Survey 2019
- JEM 9 Product Management Salary Compilation
- Check if your sectoral representative body conducts salary research.
CSO Earnings By Gender
CSO Earnings by Region For Women
Data Source https://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/earnings/
Income is broken out across ‘income bands’. For example in 2011, the average income for men was €33,364, and for women €24,515. These graphs show the number of women who earn within each pay band. 249 thousand women earned between €10,000 and €19,000. By contrast 225 thousand men earned over €50,000.
This information shows that it is particularly important for women to compare themselves not only to female professional peers but also to their male colleagues.
As we see above the best paid sector in Ireland’s continues to be the information and communication sector. In this industry, men (purple) made up almost 70% of people employed (CSO, 2019). Similar every Irish economic sector has a gender pay gap as outlined above. There’s more on the trajectory of Ireland’s Gender Pay Gap here.
There continues to be a gender pay gap not just in technology but in each of these sectors as shown below. This is not an individual problem, its a systemic problem.
Private Sector Industry Salary Surveys
A key information source is to seek out leading industry groups in your sector. Membership may be required to access all resources.
- Private Sector Employers’ Salary Survey 2019 by CIPD
- IBEC HR Survey
- Small Firms Association Business Sentiment Survey
- UK Gender Pay Gap Data by Company & Industry – particularly interesting if your employer has a UK branch. (The Irish version of this legislation is in progress.)
Irish Recruiter Salary Guides
Companies say that 48% of applicants have unrealistic expectations around salary. (Hays, 2019). But what is realistic?
- Prosperity – Digital Salaries 2021
- Brightwater Salary through 2020
- Recruiters 2021 Salary Guide
- Recruiters Tech-Focused Salary Guide 2020 – includes some gender dis-aggregated info!!
- Prosperity Salaries (web sector recruitment) through 2021
- Hays Salary Guide for Accountancy, Legal, Constructions, IT Ops and HR through 2021
- CPL 2021 Salary Guide
- CPL 2021 Northern Ireland Salary Guide
- Sigmar Salary Guide 2021
- Sigmar Recruitment Salary Guide 2019
- Sigmar Recruitment Salary Guide By Function 2019
- Robert Walters Salary Guide 2021
- Morgan McKinsey Salary Guide and Contract Rates for professional services through 2021
Online Salary Indices
- PayScale Ireland
- PayScale Salary Report
- Glassdoor Ireland
- People Groups Irish Salary Comparator
- Hays Salary Checker
Market Alignment – Open Positions
Whether or not you are considering a move away from your current employer, considering open positions means you have ‘bench-marked’ your salary, or target salary, in line with current market expectations.
- Your Company
- Consider who else is hiring via online jobs forums
- Consider who else is hiring via recruitment agencies
- List of Irish Recruitment Agencies